Call to TAKE ACTION NOW on Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD)
An immediate commitment is needed to invest in on-the-ground action now to prevent and eliminate Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD) which is devasting communities across Australia.
RHD is the most important cause of acquired cardiovascular disease in children and young adults. It is rare in most developed countries, but rates among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are among the highest in the world. About 6000 people are known to have RHD or its precursor, Acute Rheumatic Fever (ARF), and rates are increasing.
We need an immediate commitment from our political parties to give attention to and fund:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leadership of action to prevent and eliminate rheumatic heart disease.
- Regional and local education and awareness campaigns, to raise awareness of the disease and how it can be avoided and treated.
- More health workers on the ground (especially Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders), trained to identify, prevent and manage Acute Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease.
- Health hygiene needs to be given greater priority.
- Active case finding should be carried out on an annual basis in communities at risk with Aboriginal and Torres Strait leadership.
If you would like to learn more about what Rheumatic Heart Disease is click here
If a child you know has:
Infected skin sores
Go to the health clinic to check it.
THANKS TO OUR CAMPAIGN SPONSORS
This campaign acknowledges and respects the traditional custodians and elders of the lands across Australia, and in particular, the lands featured in this campaign.